How do I use this?

Jan 25, 2011 at 12:50 PM

I've worked with SharePoint for a while, but a newbie when it comes to custom webparts and such. How do I even deploy this correctly to be able to add the feature in SharePoint? Any instructions or guidance will be appreciated.

Coordinator
Feb 7, 2011 at 9:58 PM

The idea of this is to Deploy a WebPart once. The SmartPart web part looks for html files to be in a /usercontrols directory at the root Sharepoint Website. SmartPart will enumerate all recognized Interfaces of the .cs and .ascx files in that directory. In particular SmartPart is looking for IConnectionConsumer and IConnectionProvider. 

The big difference here is you deploy once and you have a framework setup already which allows WebParts to communicate with each other.  The deployment can make a huge difference to some because sometimes Sharepoint gets corrupted. With this approach you just need to copy your updated controls (.cs and .ascx) to the usercontrols directory. Thus this leaves you without needing Visual Studio or the command prompt to deploy new code.

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:55 AM

I know what SmartPart is used for, but your answer didn't provide me anything on how to get the SmartPart solution INTO SharePoint. Any detailed step-by-step on how to compile this in Visual Studio and get this feature into SharePoint would be appreciated.

Coordinator
Feb 8, 2011 at 1:48 PM

You need to to Publish \ Deploy the WebPart. So right click the main SmartPart project and deploy it.